What to Bring with You

What to bring with you and do before your visit


  1. Print and complete the Tax Year 2022 Intake Form. Do your best. We’ll help you if you get stuck on any of the questions.
    1. Read the 3 consent forms included with the Intake Booklet. If you and your spouse, if applicable, agree with the actions to be taken by AARP listed in forms, sign and date each form to which you are giving consent. You do not have to consent to all 3 forms. If filing a joint return, both taxpayers must consent. You are not required to consent to any form in order to have your taxes prepared and e-filed.

  2. Print and complete the applicable areas on the TY 2022 Itemized Deductions Worksheet . DO NOT bring in medical or charitable contribution receipts.
  3. Print and complete the TY 2022 Education Credits Worksheet (if applicable)
  4. Print and complete the TY 2022 Self-Employed Schedule C Worksheet (if applicable)
  5. If you have unemployment compensation, you MUST print out the 1099-G document. You can find this document at: https://myunemployment.nj.gov/. You will need to sign into your unemployment account to retrieve the document. We cannot print this document for you. We cannot prepare your return without this form.

Remember to bring with you all of the following that apply to your situation.
Items in bold are required in order for us to prepare your return.

  1. Government issued photo ID for you and your spouse if filing a joint return
  2. Social Security document for you and every person claimed on your tax return.  This can be a Social Security Card, Form 1099-SSA if it contains your full Social Security Number or a letter from the Social Security Administration with your social security number on it.
  3. If you were issued a PIN by the IRS because of identity theft, bring the letter received from the IRS indicating the PIN. Your return will be rejected by the IRS without this number
  4. 2021 Tax Return. If AARP Tax-Aide did your last year’s return, bring the envelope we gave you with your return and all documents
  5. Bring any other notices received by the IRS or NJ
  6. Checkbook if you want to direct deposit any refunds or direct pay any amounts owed.
  7. All of your current tax year income documents such as:
  • W-2 (Wages)
  • W-2G (Gambling winnings)
  • 1099 (Interest, dividends, security sales)
  • 1099-G (State income tax refund) You must get this online from the NJ Treasury by going to https://www1.state.nj.us/TYTR_Saver/jsp/TGI_1099/NJ1099Login.jsp
  • Unemployment compensation statements 1099G. You must get this online from NJ Unemployment by going to https://myunemployment.nj.gov/ (see above)
  • Social Security SSA-1099 or Railroad Retirement (RRB-1099 Tier 1 &2)
  • Amount of any Alimony received or paid and date of divorce agreement. If Alimony was paid, SSN for recipient(s) (may be on prior year return)
  • Brokerage statements
  • End of year pay stub (with breakdown of deductions, etc.) if applicable
  • Health insurance documents received from the government insurance marketplace, your employer and/or your insurance provider. 1095-A, 1095-B, 1095-C. 1095-A is required if insurance was purchased from the Marketplace.
  • PTR amount received in the current tax year and form PTR-1 or PTR-2 from last year and this year (if available).
  • Homestead Benefit amount credited to your property tax
  • Forms and/or cancelled checks as a record of all Federal and State Taxes Paid in the current tax year including any estimated tax payments
  • Contributions to HSA (Form 5498-SA (if you have one) and distributions from an HSA (health savings account), if you have one (Form 1099-SA)
  • Child dependent care provider information
  • Mortgage interest statement (Form 1098)
  • Property tax statement and /or postcard from your local tax office or other records of property tax paid (should include Block, Lot and Qualifier);
  • Form 1098-T showing college costs paid and any scholarship amount
  • Purchased a new vehicle? (Bring documentation of sales tax)
  • Sold a home? (Bring closing documentation) If received, bring form 1099-S
  • Have debt from a personal credit card cancelled/forgiven by a commercial lender? (Bring 1099-C)
  • Receive a First Time Homebuyers Credit in 2008? (Bring repayment letter)
  • Any document you have showing you contributed to a NJ Best 529 PLAN, or have a NJ CLASS student loan you are currently making payments on (principal and interest)


The State of New Jersey requires that every person on the tax return have Minimum Essential Coverage health insurance or be eligible for an exemption. Medicare Part A and some Medicaid coverage qualifies as Minimum Essential Coverage.   Did you, your spouse, or any of your qualifying dependents purchase health insurance from the Health Insurance Marketplace? If yes, you will need to bring form 1095-A which you should have received from The Marketplace.

NOTE-If you did not have health insurance that meets the Minimum Essential Coverage requirements for any month in the year, we will explore your eligibility for an exemption. If you do not qualify for an exemption, you will be required to make a Shared Responsibility Payment as part of your current year taxes.