The AARP Foundation Tax-Aide program is currently developing plans for the 2021 tax season. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, our tax preparation services will be very different in 2021, with much of our assistance to be provided virtually.
A top priority for us is ensuring we are protecting those most at risk, including our volunteers and taxpayers.
At this time, we do not anticipate that any of our sites will be open for service before March 1, 2021.
What you can expect when making an appointment and going through the tax preparation process:
- If available, you will be given an appointment and asked to complete IRS Form 14446 (this form authorizes us to assist you with preparation of your return using scanning technology and Cloud storage) and the Tax-Aide Intake Booklet prior to arriving for your appointment.
- When you arrive for your appointment, a Tax-Aide volunteer will review all of your documents; conduct an intake interview; and scan your signed Form 14446, completed Intake Booklet, government-issued photo ID, Social Security cards for yourself and everyone listed on your return, and all of your tax documents.
- The scanned files will be uploaded to a secure Google Drive. Your tax information will be shared only with the Tax-Aide Counselors who are assigned to prepare your return remotely. Before leaving the site, you will be given an appointment time taking place no more than one week later.
- When you come back for your follow-up appointment, one of our Counselors will review the completed return with you. After approving the return, you will be asked to sign an IRS Form 8879. Your signature on the Form 8879 (1) authorizes us to e-file your return on your behalf and (2) acknowledges that you understand the accuracy and completeness of the return is your responsibility. You will receive the original Form 8879 with your signature and a copy of your tax return prior to leaving the site.|
- All of your scanned files will be deleted within 48 hours following acceptance of your e-filed return by all applicable tax agencies (IRS and NJ Department of the Treasury) or 14 days following the date on which your documents are scanned.
The Morris County Tax-Aide program provides totally free tax preparation services.
Have your taxes prepared for free by IRS certified volunteers at various locations in Morris County, NJ.
You don’t need to be a member of AARP to benefit from this service. It is open for all ages and income levels. The only limitation is that your taxes be within the scope of our volunteers’ training.
Go to the scope of our services if you are unsure.
All volunteer tax preparers are required to pass a series of IRS certification test each year.
The program is sponsored by the IRS through the AARP Foundation and the IRS consistently reports a very high level of accuracy in the submitted returns,
We can also help you with tax questions even if we are not preparing your return.
Go to the AARP Foundation Tax-Aide page for more information about this program.
Go here to see what you need to bring to your appointment and what you can do to speed up your time there.
Go to our list of locations where you can click on the name of a location to see days and hours of operation, directions to the site, and instructions on how to make an appointment.
All online appointment scheduling has been suspended for now.